So since me and that 50 pound bag of bread flour have to become best buds, I figured I'd change my menu plan around tonight. I desperately wanted something where there would be leftovers for DH to take to work the next few days, because I am sick of him asking for frozen
AH-HA! I thought. Calzones!
So I hit a big recipe site in search of a calzone recipe instead of just bending one of my dough recipes to work. (Big mistake!)
I followed the posted recipe almost to a T (using a bit less flour since it is bread flour after all) and I knew something was wrong about 30 seconds into the mixing part.
I probably should have abandoned ship, but just because it's a giant bag of flour doesn't mean I am going to allow myself to waste it. So I added more water. And more water. And kept kneading as it was falling apart, clearly no way it was going to make a decent ball of dough to rise.
Finally I added a ton more of oil and ended up with a semi-kneadable and stretchy ball of dough.
Here's hoping it's edible! :(
So out of all of this I want to say: if you ever make one of my recipes and it's totally off for you, please tell me! I'd totally hate for others to be making them and it's not edible. I swear, it was when I made it, but while ovens can be different, I'm still worried now.
Monday edit: I didn't like it, but it must have been more than edible because DH gobbled up FOUR of them. Yes, four! Next time I decide to make calzones, I think I'll use one of my crust recipes instead.